Monday 2 January 2017

Day 7



Day 7                                                                                                                                12/12/16
     The Iron Lady!
Yesterday I had spotted some interesting person involved in different jobs. One of them was a lady who    owned a beauty parlor and tattoo shop. That lady had helped me on the first day to find the directions. I felt that I should talk to her. She smiled at me and told her name is Laxmi.  I went up to her house. It was a small house in which two rooms were congested together. But within that such a small area she had set up her parlor and her house stuff as well. She gave me a warm welcome and offered me some breakfast of her own. I spent a lot of time with her watching how she handles clients and how she works. While doing her work she shared about her whole life with me. I didn’t know what comfort I gave her but she let her heart out and talked. She was taking care of her aged mother all by herself. She faced a hard life after her father passed away. She graduated by earning for her and her family. Laxmi got married to a man he loved. He was from Himachal. But even her marriage didn’t work out. Her husband got trapped in drinking and her son was in his custody. She divorced him on a condition that permitted her to see her own son only once in a year. Surprisingly her in laws were supportive in this. She started her beauty shop. Eventually she learnt a lot of things such as hair wrap, tattoos etc. She had diploma in tourism and also works as a guide. Tenants suffer here a lot as the landlords get richer every year and they have to pay increment in the rent every year she said. She told me about how Hampi has witnessed change over the years. Social life there is not settled. As foreign tourist visit the place in a large number,  sometimes young children adapt wrong habits. They either run after these tourists or try to imitate them. She feels that Hampi is no longer safe.
Despite from the family crisis she went through, working 2 jobs for living, living alone, she seemed as if she enjoys her life. She doesn’t complain nor does she have any regrets about her decisions in life. Living independently has given her confidence, she has foreigner friends that visited her shop and she learns different craft forms from them. All she was concerned about now she is living in her hometown with her mother and she is happy. She spoke to me for almost 2 hours. It was a great experience. A conversation to a stranger that turned into a lifetime inspiration. She appreciated the work and research we all were trying to do there but also she reminded me that now you know the situations of Hampi, so try to do something for the locals suffering here. Make sure some good changes will happen.




Laxmi's small house cum parlor.

No comments:

Post a Comment