Sunday 1 January 2017

Day 4



Day 4                                                                                                  9/12/16
Sometimes it is good to go with an empty mind…
Today, initially I had decided to visit the famous Vitthala Temple which I had missed out during past 3 days. As I didn’t know the directions, I decided to go with my fellow mates. I had clear planning in my head as I would do this at this time; I would finish my lunch at this time and would go to xyz place on time etc. I had scheduled my day. But every time things don’t go according the way you want them to be. Sometimes it is good to not prepare anything….
On the way to the temple, we came across a huge banyan tree, it had huge foliage and the roots were touching until the ground. But this was not the strange part; the interesting thing that we found was, under the tree, there were several clusters of stones arranged in a certain way. And also tree was covered with the scarfs and other waste material. But it was an unusual scenario. What does it mean? Was it some kind of praying and worshiping? And why only that particular tree? These questions remained unanswered for a time being. After a few steps walk we saw a beautiful stone structure by the river. It was the Purandara Mantapa. A special place built for the royal poet by the king Krishnadevraya. I could tell it was the place for a poet, serene, quiet, breezy place where you just feel the nature around you and you forget your worries there. I can’t remember how much time we sat there quietly and tried to transform that beauty in our sketchbooks. Visiting these places, wandering unintentionally spared very few time for me to visit the actual Vitthala temple. But I realized that the real fun is within finding something unknown, uncommon.   
Carvings on Hajarirama temple were still a mystery to me which I needed to find out. For that I knew that I could find some help at the ASI department and could get permission from them for sketching. I went to ASI department with a friend. The ASI visit turned out to be very useful for me and for my classmates as well. In an unknown ambience that too in a government office, I managed to have a conversation with the officials. When I came out I had contacts of people who were going to help me with the history and I also had assurance that rapid sketches are not prohibited so we were free to do so. I could not believe that I actually went to a place on my own and did substantial amount of work for me and for others as well.
On the way back I saw Hampi through a photographic exhibition. Three different photographers,all from different time periods had captured Hampi in their camera lens. Photos of the same place taken by these photographers in three different time periods were a wonderful experience. It was amazing to see the transition of the place over the years. There also I found a person to talk with. Nothing decided in my mind I talked to that man and it later on became a very useful conversation for me. He provided me a lot of information. 
                                                             The Banyan tree filled with wishes
                                                      
                                                               Purandara Mantapa





The men with black and red lungi
On the very first day I had spotted some men wearing red lungi and some wearing black. Interestingly their attire was complete in red and black respectively. Also they were barefoot. Who are they? Kept bugging me and that day I finally found the answer for that. Those were devotees of ayappa swami and hanuman. They were following the vrata for which they wore particular dress and were following tough conditions. They were not allowed to socialize, to eat whatever the like, banned from seeing their friends and family for 41 days. I admitted that these conditions were harsh. Do really people believe in all this or has it became a trend for them? I talked to some of the people doing this vrata.
Overall the day was full of surprises. But while coming back when I thought about it, I realized all the things that I did today were on my own. I TALKED. I could have my lunch on my own and roam about. I felt that now I have started to know that town. I felt homely.

No comments:

Post a Comment